Saturday, June 14, 2014

Sketchbooks

This week was all about handing out the sketchbooks and getting to know the characteristics of each class.
Each group comes with different challenges, surprises and gifts.

The rock village students haven't had the afterschool Program since last July, but are surprisingly bright in English and are very well behaved. In their sketchbooks on the first day, I had them decorate the front page and back page with " English " and "Art" on each side. We will be using these books as sketchbooks and as visual dictionaries throughout the next months. They got really into decorating the pages in their own personal styles.
Because I had shown them a slideshow about my home/interests/family, I asked them to draw their family on page 1.  It seems that the boys gravitate towards drawing anime-esque characters, while the girls ( perhaps because they're older?) try to draw more realistically.
One student lives with just his grandma, so familt was a sensitive thing for him to draw, which I wish I had known or planned for. He was fine, but I wonder if was the best decision to start the class with a possibly sensitive topic of Family.
You can see their unique drawings below.






No comments:

Post a Comment