Thursday, June 19, 2014

Redefining Success

This week has been full of discovery, learning and adjusting. In a lot of ways I am designing a curriculum from square one for each after-school class. In designing each lesson I focus on a few things, teach, observe, and adjust.
I start off by trying to create an environment that is safe and conducive to learning. This involves a lot of songs, silly games, and me making a fool out of myself. Taking my dad's advice, I try to offer multiple chances for Success in the classroom, both in art and in English. This will give the students an energy for learning while encouraging them at multiple levels.
I try to incorporate a lot of speaking and interacting, as much of their English learning so far has been through books and handouts. I hate handouts. They are a sure way to stifle creative thinking, and only encourage "right answers". I understand the draw of handouts, because the students can feel success and check their answers. But all I see the students doing is speeding through the sheets and copying each other. So I try to stay away from handouts.

Encouraging speaking and interacting is my biggest challenge. I battle the system that the students feel comfortable in (rote learning and handouts), and I battle the comprehension gap (I don't speak Thai).
But I will keep on pushing through, modeling, and encouraging. Maybe one of these days my students will great me with more than " I am fine, how are you?"

As far as art goes, similar struggles arise.
In an English-speaking class room, I would have the opportunity to encourage creative divergent thinking, multiple interpretations, and self expression through a variety of strategies. The lack of verbal communication here limits me to modeling, showing examples, and crossing my fingers that someone will think outside the box. Just one student thinking outside the big usually has a domino effect, and all the students rush to create their own unique works.

So far the two staples of my art lessons for the younger groups have been : interesting technique + lots of materials.
Sometimes it works to do a step-by-step example. Sometimes it works to let them loose and hand out new materials every ten minutes. Sometimes it works to give them a huge collaborative sheet of paper and step back and observe.
I'm trying everything.
I spend a few hours planning, load up my bag with art goodies, ride into the village, and prepare to be flexible.

A really helpful study that I've been reading about, was a 6 week after school art and literacy program for children experiencing homelessness in the US (University of Memphis). The program was created from a Resilience Theory viewpoint, and it focused on creating a safe environment for creative expression about the self and the surrounding world, focusing on the strengths of the students.
The researchers had to decide to throw Literacy out the window, due to the inconsiworkncy of classes, and the restriction on time, but their art program was hugely successful. They did not measure success in the traditional sense of good grades and attendance, but instead measured the success of their program in three ways.

1. Engagement with the art making process. If students were engaged and focused on the art work, it was a success.
2. Art creation and Pride. If students created work and took pride in their accomplishments and sought to share their efforts, the lesson was well received.
3. Positive attitude


I am processing these ideas and considering how I will measure the success of this program.
Perhaps this study will influence my understanding/planning.


One thing I'd like to do more is celebrate the student's work. Often they leave the work with me, as they have nowhere to put it, but I'd like to spend some closure time with each student's piece, whether that's a group "discussion" in sign language , or a one-on-one talk.






No comments:

Post a Comment