Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Teaching to all levels

English is hard. Teaching English to ten students who are at five different levels is hard. So far I have tried to adopt the strategy of my ELL professor by scaffolding the content while keeping it a level above some students, so that they must "reach" for understanding. I begin the lessons simply, by introducing new vocabulary and phrases. Then I have the students repeat, repeat, repeat. (Sometimes I see eyes rolling). From there we "level up" to new content.
Here is where the struggle begins, and I wish I had four ears and three mouths. Half of the class processes the new content and responds successfully. The other half begin grabbing my arm and asking me twenty things in Thai. I try to split myself between each side, but the minute I turn my back, the focus is lost.
I'm considering new approaches, and have begun holding the accelerated group back for more concentrated learning. They are all girls and always beg me to teach them drawing as well.
I'm also trouble shooting this and searching for alternate strategies. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment