Friday, July 4, 2014

Lesson failure? Or lesson opportunity?

What do you do when your plans fail? When your idea of what the students will enjoy is in fact opposite of what they want to do?
This morning I taught at the sharecropping village, my most challenging class by far. The group is rowdy, prone to distraction, and disrespectful. They love art though. I feel mobbed every time that I start handing out paper and pencils.
Today I hoped to inspire them to try new things, and feed their apparent interest in collage. Last week they were really interested in gluing paper onto their artworks, so I made a lesson that would let them go all out.
As part of their identity books, I wanted the students to make a page about "home". We were going to mosaic/collage houses/homes onto paper for today's lesson art lesson.
After a variety of ABC activities (they are all still learning the basics), I showed them how to make a house out of collaged construction paper.
They all gave it a shot, thankfully. But I made a big " mistake " by giving an early finisher some watercolour.
It all fell apart from there.
Kids were jumping up, ripping their freshly collaged parts off, and demanding watercolours.

What was I to do?
Hold on to my plan and demand that they collage on twenty pieces before receiving paint? Or appreciate their enthusiasm for art making and let them paint?

I tried to ask a few boys to finish up their collage, but they refused. Choosing the flexible route, I handed over the prized paints, and the group of eager boys were soon happily painting away.

Some diligent girls continued to collage, much to my surprise. One girl ripped off her bits and offered her drawing to the toddlers.
 Overall, it's hard to say how class went. If I take a growth mindset, things are going well. It wasn't a failure, just an opportunity to learn.
A fixed mindset tells me that I failed, that the products weren't good, and that I didn't have control.
 As I pack up for the next class across the river, I must decide what to teach in light of these discoveries, and what perspective to take...

The eager painters


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a challenge. It's a good thing you are taking a growth mindset and rolling with the punches, learning perhaps more than you are teaching! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete