Saturday, May 3, 2014

Art on a Bike

Challenge:  If you were biking to different villages each day, to teach art lessons, what would you take in your backpack? 


 I'm leaving for Pai in less than a month, and preparations are underway. 
One of the biggest challenges is thinking about what art supplies to bring. 
I'm asking everyone I know the question "What would you take in your backpack?" and am receiving some great answers. 

Answers so far include: brightly coloured materials, lots of good paper, pastels, sketchbooks, powdered paint, home-made glue. . . . 

A local creative re-use center, Stuff Redux, has generously donated some powdered paint. I can't wait to use them with the students. 
Powdered Tempera

I'd really like to focus on incorporating the local arts and materials into my curriculum. When I was in Guatemala last year, the students were extremely receptive to a lesson that utilized local materials. I gathered some sawdust and dyed it multiple colours, and the students made a wonderful collaborative temporary sculpture out of it. The lesson was inspired by the Mayan tradition of creating "Alfombras" out of flowers and coloured sawdust in the streets during festivals. 
Alfombra in the streets of Guatemala



Students working on their collaborative sculpture

Students answered the prompt "What would your dream community look like?"


Do you have any ideas about must-have materials to take?

No comments:

Post a Comment